Sunday, January 25, 2009

Blast from the past

I was asked to feed horses at my old barn this weekend. The first wave of sadness hit me last night. A realization of how much time I spent in that barn and how many horses passed through my life while I was there. Even the familiar issue of the doors being frozen shut was nostalgic.

This morning it was magnified a hundredfold for some reason. It's driving up that road that I flew over countless times on Fal. Made worse by being a passenger, so I could totally lose myself in the memory of negotiating turns and holding him back to watch for traffic coming down the hill. That most awesome feeling ever of letting loose all that power and riding the surge. Dropping the reins on his neck as we galloped the long straight stretch, arms out wide and yelling at the top of my lungs

I do not think I will ever trust a horse again to that extent and I miss the wildness and craziness and freedom and just pure kickass fun. My goal for this year is to bring some of that back into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment